Thankful for the Scars logo

Thankful for the Scars

That’s who you were, it’s not who you are;
not in His Eyes

Handcrafted; Heirloom, Keepsake and Remembrance Rosaries

“Our Lady of Knock”

Knock, Ireland is one of the few Catholic Church approved apparitions of Our Blessed Mother Mary which also included Father (Saint) Joseph present during the apparition.  

The most well known apparition of our Blessed Mother and Father (Saint) Joseph is when he appeared to the three shepherd children, holding the Child Jesus during the final apparition at Fatima, Portugal; on 13 OCT 1917, also known as the day of the Miracle of the Sun.

In the decades preceding the Knock apparitions, Ireland, from 1845-1852, suffered from the An Gorta Mor, “The Great Famine.”  During this seven year period, a fungus-like organism destroyed three-quarters of the potato crop and resulted in what is estimated to be more than one million deaths due to starvation and related causes. 

In 1879, the year of the Knock apparitions, the potato crop was threatened once again.  In APR 1879, the pastor of the parish in Knock began a series of 100 consecutive Masses for the repose of the souls of those who had died.   

On the evening of that day when the 100th Mass was celebrated on Aug. 21,1879; an apparition appeared to fifteen villagers of varying ages on the exterior, southern wall of the parish church named after St. John the Baptist.

The witnesses clearly saw the Blessed Virgin Mary dressed in white robes, her hands and eyes turned towards heaven in prayer. On her head was a gold crown and where the crown fitted the brow, a single golden rose. On her right, bowed respectfully towards her, was St. Joseph. He appeared older, his beard and hair were gray and, like Our Lady,  he was barefoot.

To Our Lady’s left stood John the Evangelist vested as a bishop, wearing a small mitre. He held an open book in his left hand and in its pages the lines and letters could clearly be seen. He appeared to be preaching but no voice was heard. He stood so that his back was neither turned to the Virgin or to the Lamb that stood upon a simple plain altar. Behind the Lamb was a Cross. 

The witnesses watched and prayed for over two hours and though they were wet, they noticed that no rain fell upon the Apparition or on the gable. 

(Knockshrine.ie/official website of the Knock Shrine)

Additional apparitions occurred on 6 JAN and 10 and 12 FEB, 1880. The visions remained the same. Mother Mary stood in the middle of the light from heaven, wearing a long gown and a crown of pulsating brilliance, with a golden rose over her forehead. Her hands were raised to the height of her shoulders, reaching out to the people but pointing heavenward. St. Joseph stood on her right, with St. John the Evangelist to the left. To the left of the group was an altar with a large cross, a Lamb was at the foot of the cross, and angels surrounded the cross in adoration.

Mother Mary, Our Lady of Knock and Queen of Angels; You who always care for and intercede for Your children, pray for us! 

This Rosary was prayerfully designed for those with a Celtic ancestry and those of us who are Celtic in our hearts.  I hope that this Rosary will remind the prayer to seek Mother Mary’s help and intercession in all seasons of life, the good as well as the challenging.  

As so wisely stated in the words of St. Maximilian Kolbe, “Never be afraid of loving the Blessed Virgin too much. You can never love her more than Jesus did.”

St. Maximilian Kolbe, pray for us!

This handcrafted Rosary was created using rich green, Emerald colored, Crystals, for the Ave Maria (Hail Mary) beads; reminiscent of the plethora of shades of green abundant throughout the Irish countryside.  

The Rosary is further refined by the use of White, Glass Pearls for the Pater Noster (Our Father) beads; Intentionally chosen to remind the prayer of Our Lady’s Regal elegance and Virginal purity.   

The two-sided, ornate, Antique Bronze, “Ave Maria”, Miraculous Medal centerpiece has an image of Mother Mary on the front, Her arms pointing down; with Graces flowing earthwardly.  The back of the centerpiece features images of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts, surrounded by twelve stars.  

The Celtic Cross Crucifix has a Corpus of Our Lord on the front.  The front of the Crucifix, at the four points of the Cross, is emblazoned with raised images of the Triquetra, from the Latin word  triquetrus, literally meaning, “three-cornered.”  It is an ancient symbol also known as a Trinity Knot, symbolizing the unity of the Holy Trinity.     

The beauty and uniqueness of this Rosary is enhanced by the use of Antique Bronze bead caps on the Ave Maria beads and ornate, flowered filigree bead caps on the Pater Noster beads; The Rosary is completed with miniature Pearl and Crystal spacer bead accents.  

Specifications:

  • Multi-faceted, Emerald green, Crystal, Ave Maria beads: 8mm
  • White, Glass Pearl, Pater Noster beads: 10mm
  • Crystal accent beads: 4mm
  • Miniature Pearl accent beads: 4mm
  • Two-sided, Antique Bronze, Centerpiece: Approximately; 1” x 1”
  • Antique Bronze, Celtic Cross Crucifix: Approximately; 1 ⅛” x 1 ¾”
  • Rosary Length: Approximately; 24”